Call Us Today! (425) 748-5005

What should I do if the Police ask my consent to search?

Back to FAQ page

Anytime police have to ask for your permission to do something, it's because they don't have the right to do it in the first place. Don't make their job any easier. If they ask you if it's ok to come into the house, or if it's ok to search your car or your purse, you may politely decline. Do not resist if they insist on doing what they want, and certainly if they show you a warrant, but if they ask you for your permission to search anything, calmly and politely make clear that you decline the request and do not consent. They may use words like "I'm just going to look in your bag here if it's ok", or "Mind if I step in and have a look around"? Whatever words they use, politely decline and make clear that you do not consent.

You have a Constitutional right to be free from unreasonable searches. The penalty for violating that right is that any evidence seized by police in this manner must be suppressed. Your lawyer accomplishes this by filing a Motion to Suppress (in Washington, it's called a "3.6 Motion", in California this is called a "1538.5b Motion"). When evidence is suppressed, the case is often dismissed completely because there is no longer any evidence available for prosecution. If you have consented to a search, you've given up your rights and your lawyer will not be able to file the Motion to Suppress. Don't throw away these opportunities, never consent to a search.

The Lawyers Doctors Choose

We have earned the respect of the local legal community through our unending willingness to stand up for justice.

  • Perfect Avvo Rating Of 10.0
  • We return calls & emails – strong communication
  • Over 45 years of combined legal experience
  • Experienced jury trial lawyers
  • It's in our DNA to fight to win. Justice runs in our family
  • The lawyers professionals choose

Perez & Perez Law, PLLC BBB Business Review